Re: [USA] Russian - Comey fired after requesting greater investigation

Newsgroups
Subject: Re: [USA] Russian - Comey fired after requesting greater investigation
From: dildo@gofuckyourself.gmail.invalid (Dildo Baggins)
Newsgroups: dictator.america
Date: May 10 2017 20:43:23
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/09/trump_fires_fbi_boss_comey/

US President Donald Trump today fired FBI director James Comey.

Comey's agents were probing people associated with the TV celebrity's
presidential campaign for any links or collusion with Russian officials
– after it emerged the Kremlin had instructed hackers to swing the
White House race in Trump's favor.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who had recused himself from the
Russian investigation because he twice met Russia's ambassador to the
US and conveniently forgot to tell Congress about it, recommended Trump
fire Comey. This afternoon, the President pulled the trigger.

So to recap: Trump sacked the cop overseeing an investigation into
Trump's aides at the suggestion of a guy too close to that
investigation. Perfectly normal, reasonable governance.

"The FBI is one of our nation's most cherished and respected
institutions, and today will mark a new beginning for our crown jewel
of law enforcement," said the White House spokesman.

Trump, best known for telling people "you're fired" on telly, wrote to
Comey today, telling him Sessions and Deputy Attorney General Rod
Rosenstein had recommended the FBI boss be dismissed. Trump said he had
accepted their advice, and Comey should leave immediately.

"While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate
occasions, that I am not under investigation, I nevertheless concur
with the judgement of the Department of Justice that you are not able
to effectively lead the Bureau," Trump wrote.

So what exactly was the problem the Department of Justice had with
Comey? According to Rosenstein, it was the handling of the
investigation into Hillary Clinton's private email server while she was
Secretary of State – specifically Comey's announcement that he saw no
reason to prosecute her. Rosenstein thought Comey had gone too easy on
Hillary, that he had let her off the hook by overriding prosecutors,
and that he must now pay the price, essentially.

"The director should have said the FBI had completed its investigation
and presented its findings to federal prosecutors," Rosenstein wrote in
a letter today.

"The director now defends his decision by asserting that he believed
Attorney General Loretta Lynch had a conflict. But the FBI director is
never empowered to supplant federal prosecutors and assume command of
the Justice Department."

Date Subject  Author
01.01. o