[Indonesia] introduces content filtering

Newsgroups
Subject: [Indonesia] introduces content filtering
From: newsbeanie@dictatorshandbook.net (NewsBeanie)
Newsgroups: dictator.asia
Date: Jan 05 2018 04:39:30
Title: Indonesia Introduces New Internet Censorship System
Author: mrpg
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 15:00:00 -0500
Link: https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=18/01/03/1830230&from=rss

An Anonymous Coward writes:

Indonesia's Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Ministry is set to
implement a new $14 million Internet censorship system from Wednesday. The new
system will automatically block pornography and other content deemed to be
unsuitable by the government, following years of manual monitoring which has
failed to adequately police the abundance of illicit online content.

The ministry's Information Applications Director General Semuel Pangerapan said
the machine is equipped with artificial intelligence that will crawl websites
and use keywords to detect inappropriate content.

"After the content is crawled, our team will evaluate and verify the data,"
Pangerapan told Arab News. "We will then block sites that are validated as
carrying negative content. This machine will make our jobs a lot faster." The
new system will enable the ministry to identify a range of negative content
referencing topics from gambling, terrorism, fraud and drugs, to hoaxes and
fake news, he added.

Indonesia introduces new Internet censorship system[1]

Original Submission[2]

Read more of this story[3] at SoylentNews.

Links:
[1]: http://www.arabnews.com/node/1218011/world (link)
[2]: http://soylentnews.org/submit.pl?op=viewsub&subid=24133 (link)
[3]: https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=18/01/03/1830230&from=rss (link)

Date Subject  Author
05.01. o [Indonesia] introduces content filteringNewsBeanie