[USA] What do Trump and a Pakistani deposed dictator have in common?

Newsgroups
Subject: [USA] What do Trump and a Pakistani deposed dictator have in common?
From: rsw@therandymon.com (RS Wood)
Newsgroups: dictator.america, dictator.asia
Date: Dec 01 2017 23:35:49
Lots.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2017/12/01/trump-is-acting-like-pakistans-former-dictator/?utm_term=.342743180f1d

President Trump’s anti-Muslim tweets really bring me back to the past —
to an era in Pakistan when demonization of a religious minority led to
devastation of an entire country.

I was born in Pakistan. Like America, Pakistan was founded as a
democratic republic, guaranteeing secular governance and universal
religious freedom. But in 1987, only 40 years after our country’s
birth, my family and I left to escape religious persecution.

What happened?

Pakistani President Mohammed Zia ul-Haq executed a military coup to
come to power. Among his first actions, Zia signed an executive order
targeting Pakistan’s Ahmadiyya Muslim minority — to which we belonged —
prescribing fines, arrest and even death should we dare practice our
faith. Zia hijacked media to claim Ahmadis hated Pakistan. He called us
a “cancer” and accused us of spreading false information even as he
shut down our mosques and schools. He spent his questionable presidency
empowering right-wing religious fundamentalists, elevating fascist
ideology, and mixing religion and state. We didn’t stick around to see
what would happen next. By March 1987, we immigrated to America.

--
RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com>

Date Subject  Author
01.12. o [USA] What do Trump and a Pakistani deposed dictatRS Wood