[Somalia] here's part of the mess

Newsgroups
Subject: [Somalia] here's part of the mess
From: rsw@therandymon.com (RS Wood)
Newsgroups: dictator.africa
Date: Mar 27 2017 10:36:42

Interesting look at why Al Shabaab continues to prosper.

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/world/Military-exercises-by-Amisom-and-US-focus-on-Somalia-exit/1068-3865656-6deapw/

The number of lives lost by Kenyan, Ugandan, Ethiopian and Burundian
components of Amisom is kept secret by the AU and troop-contributing
countries.

Amisom has announced it will begin pulling its 22,000 soldiers out of
Somalia next year. The withdrawal is scheduled to be completed by the
end of 2020.

However, Somali forces are still viewed as incapable of taking over from
Amisom despite years of training by US and European experts.

Washington has also invested tens of millions of dollars in equipping
and professionalising Somalia’s army and police.

“If we are frank, we must recognise that at times our efforts to train
and equip Somalia’s national army have not translated directly into
sustainable gains,” US deputy UN ambassador Michele Sison told the
Security Council on Thursday.

The UN has cited high-level and widespread corruption on the part of
Somali politicians and military personnel as a major hurdle to local
forces’ competence.

Many weapons imported by the Somali Government are reported to have been
sold on the black market, and are likely to have made their way into the
hands of Shabaab and other terrorist organisations.

Rather than moving towards a reduced presence in Somalia, Amisom asked
the Security Council in January to approve a surge of 4,500 additional
soldiers for six months.

Amisom chief ambassador Francisco Caetano Madeira gave voice earlier
this month to frustrations privately shared by many key figures seeking
to facilitate handover of responsibilities to Somali forces.

“Those who should be fighting expect us to protect them,” Madeira said.

He noted in a report circulated by Amisom that AU troops were fighting
Al-Shabaab and protecting the federal government at the same time.

Date Subject  Author
27.03. o [Somalia] here's part of the messRS Wood