Re: [Somalia] Odi Kawayn: serious drought affects the south

Newsgroups
Subject: Re: [Somalia] Odi Kawayn: serious drought affects the south
From: rsw@therandymon.com (RS Wood)
Newsgroups: dictator.africa
Date: Mar 27 2017 10:34:20

NewsBeanie <newsbeanie@dictatorshandbook.net> writes:

Title: Somalia drought kills 110 in just two days, says prime minister
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 06:25:07 +0300

More than half of Somali residents are struggling with the effects of
drought, as widespread food shortages threaten millions.

Some photos courtesy of Jeune Afrique and Giles Clarke, photographer.

I've found some more about it.  This is tough stuff.

http://www.newsweek.com/somalia-drought-al-shabaab-famine-573856

The U.N.’s top official in Somalia has already indicated that the
drought might necessitate a change of tact with the militants. “The
drought is highlighting the need to engage with Al-Shabab, because
al-Shabab controls areas where large numbers of people live,” said
Michael Keating, the special representative of the
U.N. Secretary-General in Somalia, at a talk at U.S. think tank the
International Peace Institute in January. (Keating did add a caveat to
his statement about engaging with the militants: “We are not there
yet.”)

Keating was unavailable when contacted for further comment by Newsweek ,
but the U.N.’s deputy humanitarian coordinator in Somalia, Vincent
Lelei, says it has had “no contacts with Al-Shabab militants regarding
the drought response thus far” and that there were no plans to
coordinate efforts with the group. Lelei added that Al-Shabab “has not
provided access directly to U.N. humanitarian agencies to reach people
affected by the drought in areas under its control.”

Al-Shabab’s publicity drive may point to an awareness that their
response to the 2011 famine did not endear them to Somalis. The group
obstructed humanitarian agencies from delivering aid to those under
their authority: A 2013 study by U.K.-based think tank the Overseas
Development Institute and the Heritage Institute in Mogadishu found that
the militants charged exorbitant registration fees of up to $10,000 for
aid agencies to work in their areas. In other cases, Al-Shabab simply
burned food aid and even killed charity workers. The famine resulted in
260,000 deaths, and the militants lost face over reports that its
fighters kept food aid for themselves in many cases rather than
distributing to the needy.

Al-Shabab has not indicated any desire to negotiate with the federal
government, and any talks would be complicated and delicate. The group
does include some moderate elements, and there have been several cases
of Al-Shabab fighters renouncing violence for politics, which may be a
promising sign for the government’s plan to deliver an effective drought
response.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/26/drought-stricken-somalia-battles-hunger-and-choler/

Somalia’s emergency is joined by similar hunger crises in South Sudan,
northeastern Nigeria and Yemen, which together make the world’s largest
humanitarian disaster in more than 70 years, according to
U.N. officials.

In Somalia, drought-stricken families have had to move from one place to
another in order to reach international aid agencies that cannot
distribute food in areas under the control of al-Shabab, Somali’s
homegrown Islamic extremist rebels who are affiliated to al-Qaida.

With her newborn baby, just 40 days old, Sangabo Madey walked for two
days to reach a camp in Baidoa in search of food and water. Standing
beside a hut of sticks and plastic sheeting, constantly blown by the
wind, the mother of five said she does not know what to do next.

“We were unable to feed our children. Because of the drought we did not
have anything to eat,” Madey said. “We left our hometowns to come here,
but there is little aid coming in and we still continue to suffer.”

Date Subject  Author
26.03. * [Somalia] Odi Kawayn: serious drought affects the NewsBeanie
26.03. `* Re: [Somalia] Odi Kawayn: serious drought affects the RS Wood
27.03.  `- Re: [Somalia] Odi Kawayn: serious drought affects the RS Wood