Re: [Somalia] fueled by bribes, election is a milestone of corruption

Newsgroups
Subject: Re: [Somalia] fueled by bribes, election is a milestone of corruption
From: rsw@therandymon.com (RS Wood)
Newsgroups: dictator.africa
Date: Feb 09 2017 21:08:27
On 2017-02-07, Nicolas <theratur@openmailbox.org> wrote:
RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com> writes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/world/africa/somalia-election-corruption.html

Interesting article.  51 candidates only fuelled the fire of corruption,
vote buying, and the like.  Clan politics continue unabated, and the
quest for an election was mostly pushed by donors and the international
community, not Somalis.  What a mess.  But what an interesting political
experiment.

Decolonisation never happened.

Well, bribes or not, Somalia has a new president.  Good luck to you, sir -
you shall certainly need it.  We will now learn whether the new president
and his government are planning on improving the lot of Somalis in general,
or if they just represent the latest 'distributive coalition'  The scenes
that preceded the election don't make me hopeful.

Feed: BBC News - Home
Title: Somalia's 'Mr Cheese' president has a lot on his plate
Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-38918858
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 09:21:12 -0500

Somalia has a new, apparently popular president. His main challenges include
making federalism work, reducing corruption and improving security.

Date Subject  Author
07.02. * [Somalia] fueled by bribes, election is a milestonRS Wood
07.02. `* Re: [Somalia] fueled by bribes, election is a milestonNicolas
09.02.  `- Re: [Somalia] fueled by bribes, election is a milestonRS Wood