[Pakistan] how power works

Newsgroups
Subject: [Pakistan] how power works
From: dildo@gofuckyourself.gmail.invalid (Dildo Baggins)
Newsgroups: dictator.asia
Date: Jul 25 2017 14:37:00
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/24/opinion/pakistan-sharif-khan.html

Here’s how to get filthy rich in Pakistan: manipulate the law, get bank
loans written off, use irregular accounting practices, evade tariffs
and taxes and exploit labor. Mr. Sharif and his family are no different
from others who are filthy rich, some of whom have joined Mr. Khan’s
P.T.I.

The Election Commission of Pakistan and a court are also scrutinizing
the allegations of misappropriation against Mr. Khan, including that of
foreign funding for his party, which is illegal under Pakistani law.

Though Mr. Khan may be shamefaced for his soft stance on terrorist
groups, he is not in the league of Pakistan’s filthy rich and does not
have a reputation for large-scale financial corruption. Yet there are
doubts about the motivation and outcome of his campaign against Mr.
Sharif and increasing fears that Mr. Khan’s P.T.I. is the latest
version of the king’s party.

These doubts and fears appear because there are no evident signs of a
break from an old, familiar pattern. Mr. Khan founded the P.T.I. in
1996, and it became a club of well-meaning middle-class professionals
inspired by the raw sincerity that Mr. Khan exuded. This has changed
dramatically in the past six years, with his adversaries making obvious
references to his party’s garnering the support of bureaucracy,
military and intelligence agencies.

At present, the right-leaning P.T.I. represents a sizable minority of
the affluent urban middle class. It has welcomed turncoats and
defectors from other parties, many with a history of corruption and
wrongdoing. It has been agitating for Mr. Sharif’s removal through
nonelectoral means for the past few years. Panama Papers leaks have
only intensified its demand.

--
Dildo Baggins <dildo@gofuckyourself.gmail.invalid>

Date Subject  Author
25.07. o [Pakistan] how power worksDildo Baggins