Re: [Sweden] enjoy your immigrant riot, folks

Newsgroups
Subject: Re: [Sweden] enjoy your immigrant riot, folks
From: dildo@gofuckyourself.gmail.invalid (Dildo Baggins)
Newsgroups: dictator.europe
Date: Mar 07 2017 16:18:27

Interesting follow up.  Sweden is questioning its decisions.

//--clip
Mr. Trump is not the only person pointing to what he considers to be the
troubling consequences of immigration to Sweden. This month, a seasoned
investigator with the police department in Orebro, Peter Springare,
caused a stir with a Facebook posting in which he discussed the case
files on his desk.

“What I’ve been handling Monday-Friday this week: Rape, rape, serious
rape, assault rape, black mail, black mail, assault in court, threats,
attack against police, threats against police, drugs, serious drugs,
attempted murder, rape again, black mail again and abuse,” Mr. Springare
said. He went on to list the first names of the people he said were
suspects, all but one of which were traditionally Middle Eastern.

The post, which was shared 20,500 times, led to an outpouring of
support. People sent hundreds of flowers to Mr. Springare’s police
station, and more than 170,000 people joined a Facebook group supporting
him.

//--clip

A good op-ed in the NYT on the subject.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/07/opinion/the-hard-truth-about-refugees.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-right-region&region=opinion-c-col-right-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-right-region

The Swedes have a word, “asikstkorridor,” which translates as “opinion
corridor” and describes all those things considered incorrect not only
to say but to think. One of those taboos, as I discovered when I
visited Sweden at the height of the refugee crisis in the fall of 2015,
is the idea that refugees from conservative Muslim countries,
especially poorly educated young men, may not integrate into Swedish
society as well as, say, relatively secular and prosperous Iranians or
Bosnians.

President Trump’s offhand comment last month about how dreadful things
are in Sweden provoked an outraged reaction from Swedes rightly proud
of the country’s longstanding commitment to accepting refugees from all
over the world. The incident of violence the president appeared to be
describing hadn’t happened. But then it did, in the form of a riot in a
suburb of Stockholm heavily populated by immigrants. That’s where the
opinion corridor can make you look foolish.

[...]

I believe that liberalism can be preserved only if liberals learn to
distinguish between what must be protected at all cost and what must
be, not discarded, but reconsidered — the unquestioned virtue of
cosmopolitanism, for example, or of free trade. If we are to honor the
human rights of refugees, we must find a way to do so that commands
political majorities. Otherwise we’ll keep electing leaders who
couldn’t care less about those rights.

Date Subject  Author
22.02. * [Sweden] enjoy your immigrant riot, folksNewsBeanie
26.02. `* Re: [Sweden] enjoy your immigrant riot, folksRS Wood
07.03.  `- Re: [Sweden] enjoy your immigrant riot, folksDildo Baggins