Re: Buying Used Voting Machines on eBay

Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Buying Used Voting Machines on eBay
From: rsw@therandymon.com (RS Wood)
Newsgroups: misc.news.internet.discuss, dictator.general
Date: Nov 04 2018 02:46:40
On 2018-11-02, JAB <here@toadsfoot.net> wrote:
Buying Used Voting Machines on eBay

This is not surprising:

    This year, I bought two more machines to see if security had
improved. To my dismay, I discovered that the newer model machines --
those that were used in the 2016 election -- are running Windows CE
and have USB ports, along with other components, that make them even
easier to exploit than the older ones. Our voting machines, billed as
"next generation," and still in use today, are worse than they were
beforeĀ­ -- dispersed, disorganized, and susceptible to manipulation.

Cory Doctorow's comment is correct:

    Voting machines are terrible in every way: the companies that make
them lie like crazy about their security, insist on insecure designs,
and produce machines that are so insecure that it's easier to hack a
voting machine than it is to use it to vote.

I blame both the secrecy of the industry and the ignorance of most
voting officials. And it's not getting better.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2018/11/buying_used_vot.html

I had no idea it is as bad as this.  What a collossal nightmare.

Date Subject  Author
04.11. o Re: Buying Used Voting Machines on eBayRS Wood