election hacking for fun and profit

Newsgroups
Subject: election hacking for fun and profit
From: newsbeanie@dictatorshandbook.net (NewsBeanie)
Newsgroups: dictator.general
Date: Oct 30 2018 03:02:58
Title: The election hackers are back – and they’re starting with the US midterms | PW Singer and Emerson Brooking
Author: PW Singer and Emerson Brooking
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 08:03:56 -0400
Link: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/26/election-hackers-us-midterms-democracy
Podcast Download URL: https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/a90ee221140d195e6eb3a2482b63c9ad3d944265/0_271_5102_3061/master/5102.jpg?width=460&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=721602724cfa22aeec9c4bfa20cc9263

Democracies around the world now face an even bigger threat than in 2016. But
there are ways to fight back

Whether it is in the movies, media or politics, discussions of election
security typically focus on the sexy story of hackers hacking into voting
machines[1]. While this is a well-founded fear that certainly requires better
defence, the reality is that there is no example of this kind of cyber-attack
ever being attempted or working on a national scale.

By contrast, there is another kind of attack, one which has not just been
repeatedly attempted but has been proven to work. It has struck everywhere from
the 2016 election in the US and the Brexit vote in the UK, to the Syrian civil
war and the Myanmar genocide[2]. This threat doesn’t come in the form of
hacking networks (aka “cyberwar”) but rather hacking the people on them, by
making ideas viral through a mix of “likes” and lies on social media (what we
call “like war”).
Continue reading...[3]

Links:
[1]: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/05/russia-us-election-hack-voting-system-nsa-report (link)
[2]: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/aug/15/facebook-myanmar-rohingya-hate-speech-investigation (link)
[3]: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/26/election-hackers-us-midterms-democracy (link)

Date Subject  Author
30.10. o election hacking for fun and profitNewsBeanie