Re: Fake Photos

Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Fake Photos
From: rsw@therandymon.com (RS Wood)
Newsgroups: misc.news.internet.discuss, dictator.general
Date: Jul 19 2017 15:01:42
JAB <here@toadsfoot.net> writes:

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 21:20:18 -0500, ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:

Those photo(graph)s are small!

Any professionally shot photos, I'll assume they have been "doctored."

Political photos may to be doctored...even during Bush years, there
were doctored photos, especially in crowd type shots.

On Internet, there are lots of Bull Shit photos that are doctored for
an effect.

Hence, commercial, humorous, and political photos have a higher chance
of being doctored.

Like is said, if you give them an inch, they will take a mile...same
applies to digital photos.

This issue came up in the early days of the WWW and photoshop.  The
"solution" (obviously not) was to ban Photoshop.  Barring that, this
train was poised to leave the station.  Once you agree it's
infeasible/incorrect to ban photo editing in general, how do you manage
it?  We never found a good answer.

The fact that we can now doctor video compounds the problem.  (I assume
we were able to doctor audio ages ago).  Pretty soon you won't be able
to totally trust anything you see or hear – pretty useful thing for
fraud politicians who want to convince you to be skeptical of any
headline that doesn't resonate in their favor ... not that I can think
of a single politician who would do that, cough cough.

Date Subject  Author
19.07. o Re: Fake PhotosRS Wood