Trump vs Ballmer, and how govts spend money

Newsgroups
Subject: Trump vs Ballmer, and how govts spend money
From: rsw@therandymon.com (RS Wood)
Newsgroups: misc.news.internet.discuss, dictator.general
Date: Apr 18 2017 19:04:48
This was linked to at HackerNews the other day.  Very interesting.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/17/business/dealbook/steve-ballmer-serves-up-a-fascinating-data-trove.html?_r=0

//--clip
In an age of fake news and questions about how politicians and others
manipulate data to fit their biases, Mr. Ballmer’s project may serve as
a powerful antidote. Using his website, USAFacts.org, a person could
look up just about anything: How much revenue do airports take in and
spend? What percentage of overall tax revenue is paid by corporations?
At the very least, it could settle a lot of bets made during public
policy debates at the dinner table.

“I would like citizens to be able to use this to form intelligent
opinions,” Mr. Ballmer said. “People can disagree about what to do —
I’m not going to tell people what to do.” But, he said, people ought to
base their opinions “on common data sets that are believable.”

So how exactly does one go about collecting and ordering the nation’s
data?
//--clip

That led to other readers chiming in with similar, useful sites.  This
is the one that stands out for me.
https://openspending.org/

--
RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com>

Date Subject  Author
18.04. o Trump vs Ballmer, and how govts spend moneyRS Wood