Get rid of the arts say both Hitler and Trump

Newsgroups
Subject: Get rid of the arts say both Hitler and Trump
From: toast@burnt.com (Toast)
Newsgroups: dictator.general
Date: Apr 06 2017 19:30:29
Last month, the Trump administration proposed a national budget that includes the elimination of the National Endowment for the Arts. The NEA operates with a budget of about $150 million a year. As critics have observed, this amount is about 0.004 percent of the federal budget, making the move a fairly inefficient approach to trimming government spending. Many Americans have been protesting the cuts by pointing out the many ways that art enriches our lives — as they should. The arts bring us joy and entertainment; they can offer a reprieve from the trials of life or a way to understand them.

But as Hitler understood, artists play a distinctive role in challenging authoritarianism. Art creates pathways for subversion, for political understanding and solidarity among coalition builders. Art teaches us that lives other than our own have value. Like the proverbial court jester who can openly mock the king in his own court, artists who occupy marginalized social positions can use their art to challenge structures of power in ways that would otherwise be dangerous or impossible.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/06/opinion/why-authoritarians-attack-the-arts.html

Date Subject  Author
06.04. o Get rid of the arts say both Hitler and TrumpToast