The Suffocation of Democracy

Newsgroups
Subject: The Suffocation of Democracy
From: here@toadsfoot.net (JAB)
Newsgroups: dictator.america
Date: Jan 14 2019 20:31:31
October 25, 2018 Issue

As a historian specializing in the Holocaust, Nazi Germany, and Europe
in the era of the world wars, I have been repeatedly asked about the
degree to which the current situation in the United States resembles
the interwar period and the rise of fascism in Europe. I would note
several troubling similarities and one important but equally troubling
difference.
Finally, within several decades after Trump’s presidency has ended,
the looming effects of ecological disaster due to human-caused climate
change--which Trump not only denies but is doing so much to
accelerate--will be inescapable. Desertification of continental
interiors, flooding of populous coastal areas, and increased frequency
and intensity of extreme weather events, with concomitant shortages of
fresh water and food, will set in motion both population flight and
conflicts over scarce resources that dwarf the current fate of Central
Africa and Syria. No wall will be high enough to shelter the US from
these events. Trump is not Hitler and Trumpism is not Nazism, but
regardless of how the Trump presidency concludes, this is a story
unlikely to have a happy ending.

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2018/10/25/suffocation-of-democracy/

Christopher R. Browning is Frank Porter Graham ­Professor of History
Emeritus at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Date Subject  Author
14.01. * The Suffocation of DemocracyJAB
18.01. `- Re: The Suffocation of DemocracyRS Wood