[USA] quelling leaks looking increasingly dictatorial

Newsgroups
Subject: [USA] quelling leaks looking increasingly dictatorial
From: rsw@therandymon.com (RS Wood)
Newsgroups: dictator.america
Date: Jun 08 2018 14:45:04
Thanks Obama, you putz.  Now no-one will be willing to talk to a
reporter, just what every dictator would like.  And you queued it up
for Trump to make use of, even better.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/us/politics/times-reporter-phone-records-seized.html

Mr. Wolfe, a former Army intelligence analyst, worked for the committee
in a nonpartisan capacity for nearly 30 years. He worked closely with
both Democrats and Republicans on the committee.

Mr. Trump has complained bitterly about leaks and demanded that law
enforcement officials seek criminal charges against government
officials involved in illegal and sometimes embarrassing disclosures of
national security secrets.

When law enforcement officials obtained journalists’ records during the
Obama administration, members of Congress in both parties sounded
alarms, and the moves touched off a firestorm among advocates for press
freedom that helped prompt the Justice Department to rewrite its
relevant guidelines.

Under Justice Department regulations, investigators must clear
additional hurdles before they can seek business records that could
reveal a reporter’s confidential sources, such as phone and email
records. In particular, the rules require the government to have “made
all reasonable attempts to obtain the information from alternative,
non-media sources” before investigators may target a reporter’s
information.

In addition, the rules generally require the Justice Department to
notify reporters first to allow them to negotiate over the scope of
their demand for information and potentially challenge it in court. The
rules permit the attorney general to make an exception to that practice
if he “determines that, for compelling reasons, such negotiations would
pose a clear and substantial threat to the integrity of the
investigation, risk grave harm to national security, or present an
imminent risk of death or serious bodily harm.”

Top Justice Department officials must sign off on any attempt to gain
access to a journalist’s communications records.

It is not clear whether investigators exhausted all of their avenues of
information before confiscating Ms. Watkins’s information. She was not
notified before they gained access to her information from the
telecommunications companies. Among the records seized were those
associated with her university email address from her undergraduate
years.

“We intend to get to the bottom of these leaks. I think it has reached
epidemic proportions,” Mr. Sessions said in November during testimony
on Capitol Hill. “It cannot be allowed to continue, and we will do our
best effort to ensure it does not continue.”

The Intelligence Committee is responsible for carrying out oversight of
American intelligence agencies, including the F.B.I., the C.I.A. and
the National Security Agency, and their secretive operations. It is one
of the most tightly secured groups in Congress, with strict rules for
lawmakers and the professional staff governing the circulation and
release of sensitive, and often classified, information that passes
before the committee.

As security director, Mr. Wolfe would have been responsible for
ensuring that those rules were upheld. When the committee became a
matter of intense interest as it undertook a bipartisan investigation
of Russia’s election meddling, Mr. Wolfe played a more visible role
ushering witnesses in and out of the committee’s secured office space.

Date Subject  Author
08.06. * [USA] quelling leaks looking increasingly dictatorRS Wood
08.06. +- Re: [USA] quelling leaks looking increasingly dictatorJAB
15.06. `- Re: [USA] quelling leaks looking increasingly dictatorJAB