[Nicaragua] the unraveling of Nicaragua

Newsgroups
Subject: [Nicaragua] the unraveling of Nicaragua
From: rsw@therandymon.com (RS Wood)
Newsgroups: dictator.america
Date: Jun 07 2018 19:15:41
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/06/nicaragua-ortega-protests/562094/

Tim Rogers, again: Beautiful article.

The Unraveling of Nicaragua

Amid the mass protests against the Ortega regime, the country is
showing signs of democratic renewal. Tim Rogers
Jun 6, 2018

Protestors hold Nicaraguan flags standing on a statue
Demonstrators stand on a monument to a boxing champion during a
demonstration against President Daniel Ortega's government in Managua,
Nicaragua, in May.Oswaldo Rivas / Reuters

Nicaragua is showing all the symptoms of a failed state. At the center
of the storm is the corrupt minority government of Daniel Ortega, the
former revolutionary leader who now acts more like a cartel boss than a
president. Over the past seven weeks, Ortega’s police and
paramilitaries have killed more than 120 people, mostly students and
other young protesters who are demanding the president’s ouster and a
return to democracy, according to a human-rights group. Police hunt
students like enemy combatants. Sandinista Youth paramilitaries, armed
and paid by Ortega’s party, drive around in pickup trucks attacking
protesters. Gangs of masked men loot and burn shops with impunity. Cops
wear civilian clothing, and some paramilitaries dress in police
uniforms. “This is starting to look more like Syria than Caracas,” one
Nicaraguan business leader told me.

The asymmetrical fighting has claimed the lives of at least 120 people,
including one U.S. citizen, and injured more than 1,000, according to
the Nicaraguan Center for Human Rights (known by its Spanish acronym
Cenidh). Most of the fatalities have reportedly been unarmed young
people, including a 15-year-old shot in the neck for bringing water to
student protesters. Hundreds more have been unlawfully detained,
released days later with ghastly bruises and tales of cruelty behind
bars. The ugliest day so far was May 30, Mother’s Day in Nicaragua,
when AK-47–toting police indiscriminately opened fire on a peaceful
march to honor the dead. As police sprayed the crowd with bullets,
government sharpshooters positioned on the roof of the national
baseball stadium went headhunting with sniper rifles. Before the sun
rose, 16 more Nicaraguans were dead, and another 88 were injured. “This
is a terrorist state,” the Cenidh president Vilma Núñez told me. “Being
a young person protesting here is a crime that’s punishable by death.”

Sign up for our daily afternoon newsletter.

Each weekday evening, get an overview of the day’s biggest news, along
with fascinating ideas, images, and people. Email Address (required)

Nicaragua is now in the throes of a mass uprising against Ortega’s
murderous regime. It’s a dangerous endeavor for an unarmed population,
especially after the collapse of peace talks last week. But there’s no
going back. Nicaragua has experienced a national awakening. More Stories

 The protests against the connubial dictatorship of President Daniel
Ortega and his wife, Vice President Rosario Murillo, began on April 12
when hundreds of university students took to the streets to march in
defense of Nicaragua’s Indio Maíz Biological Reserve. Six days later,
the protest grew to thousands of people, as students joined a larger
pushback against Ortega’s attempt to increase social-security taxes and
reduce pension benefits for the elderly.

The Ortega regime, with its long-running zero-tolerance policy towards
any type of street demonstration, did not take well to the mounting
unrest. Police and the Sandinista paramilitaries, a group of
indoctrinated young people that Ortega uses as a shock force, responded
with rabid and disproportionate force, firing rubber bullets and tear
gas at students, then switching to live ammunition. “We weren’t ready
for the massacres,” Valeska Valle, a 22-year-old student leader, told
me. “We never thought the government was going to kill us. We never
thought being a university student would be a crime in Nicaragua.”

The images of state repression were captured on cellphone videos,
shocking a nation still haunted by the specters of past dictatorship
and civil war. Nicaragua suffered for four decades under the brutal
U.S.-backed Somoza dictatorship, which the Sandinista Revolution ousted
in 1979, leading to another decade of U.S.-funded counterrevolutionary
“contra” war. “None of our martyrs will be forgotten,” the student
leader Fernando Sánchez told me. “For them, for their families, and for
all Nicaraguans, we cannot stop. We cannot allow this unscrupulous
person to continue in the presidency.”

The government denies all responsibility for the violence and for the
existence of the paramilitaries. Ortega has blamed the bloodshed on
foreign agitators, gangs, organized crime, and drug cartels. But
they’re not fooling anyone. The Inter-American Commission on Human
Rights has called on the Nicaraguan government “to immediately end the
repression” and “urgently adopt adequate measures to end the violence,”
including the dismantling of all paramilitary groups.

As Ortega’s police attack protesters, beleaguered citizens are digging
up the streets to barricade and defend their neighborhoods. At the
roadblocks, those suspected of being government loyalists are sometimes
stripped, humiliated, and beaten. The broken state is also curbing
access to basic services. Public schools have closed in areas of heavy
fighting. The state health-care system is also in tatters, as public
hospitals are turning away injured protesters. “We are treating injured
people here in the church because we can't take them to the public
hospitals anymore,” Edwin Román, a Masaya priest, told 100% Noticias.

Nighttime is hell. In Masaya, the city that has bore the brunt of state
repression in recent weeks, frightened citizens lie in bed or on the
floor in fear of stray bullets, listening to the fighting and chaos in
the street and praying it won’t come through their front door. “I made
some alcohol chili mace and some other medieval shit to keep in a spray
bottle by my front door, just in case they try to get it,” said one
North American expat, whose street in neighboring Granada has become a
nighttime battlefield over the past month.

Nicaragua’s unraveling seemed to come out of nowhere. Yet, democracy
and rule of law died here a long time ago.

Two months ago, Nicaragua was a popular and friendly tourism
destination with the fastest-growing economy in Central America, a
poster child for foreign investment and citizen security in a region
known for gangs and unrest. But behind the facade of peace and
stability, Ortega’s systematic dismantling of Nicaragua’s institutional
democracy was corrosive. After returning to power in 2007, he
sidestepped the constitution to get himself reelected in 2011. He then
completed his palace coup by assuming full control of all four branches
of government, state institutions, the military, and police. He banned
opposition parties, rewrote the constitution, and turned Nicaragua into
his personal fiefdom, which he rules from inside the walls of his
stolen compound, a concrete fortress he rarely leaves.

Ortega got away with all this for years with the help of political
sycophants and private-sector enablers, thanks to an alliance between
the government and COSEP, the country’s council of business chambers.
While the economy was growing, many well-off Nicaraguans were too busy
plucking the fruits of the harvest to worry about Ortega poisoning the
fields. But the good times ended two months ago, when he violated the
arrangement by unilaterally overhauling the social-security tax system
without consulting the business leaders and workers who were going to
foot the bill. COSEP President José Adán Aguerri told me in an
interview in Managua last month that Ortega killed their decade-old
working relationship on April 18. It has been chaos ever since.

Now the economy is crumbling, with total losses estimated somewhere
north of $600 million, according to COSEP. That’s more than Hugo
Chávez, the former ruler of Venezuela, was giving Ortega at the height
of his annual Venezuelan allowance—the one that allowed Ortega’s family
to climb the ranks of the Nicaraguan oligarchy.

Nicaragua’s economic tailspin is hurting small businesses the most.
Looters have ransacked more than 200 small businesses across the
country during the past seven weeks, punishing the pinched working
class. Meanwhile, roadblocks have paralyzed commerce and transit
throughout the country, restaurants are shuttering, and tourists are
fleeing.

If there is any bright spot for Nicaragua, it’s the student-led
movement. Their bravery, solidarity, and leadership in the nationwide
push for justice and democracy has inspired a nation. And despite the
death and destruction, it’s a movement fueled by optimism—the burning
hope that Nicaragua can become a democracy and that better days lie
ahead. It may seem like a distant fantasy in a season of turmoil and
destruction, but it’s the hope that keeps people in the streets. “We’re
optimistic because our hope is that Nicaragua will once again be a free
republic,” says Valle, the student leader. “Of course there’s hope; the
people have united.”

If Ortega has provided the tyrants of the world with a blueprint for
how to destroy a democracy, the youth of Nicaragua are offering an
example of how to get it back. “We Nicaraguans are tenacious and
strong. We’re fighters, but we’re very good people,” says Sánchez, the
other student leader. “We’re going to make history once again in our
country so we can have a society that's democratic and egalitarian.”
Tim Rogers is the Latin America editor for Fusion.

--
RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com>

Date Subject  Author
07.06. o [Nicaragua] the unraveling of NicaraguaRS Wood