[USA] selling war -Bush no different than Trump

Newsgroups
Subject: [USA] selling war -Bush no different than Trump
From: rsw@therandymon.com (RS Wood)
Newsgroups: dictator.america
Date: Feb 05 2018 23:27:37

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/05/opinion/trump-iran-war.html

//-- clip

It’s astonishing how similar these moments are to Mr. Powell’s 2003
presentation on Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction. And how the Trump
administration’s methods overall match those of Bush-Cheney. As I
watched Ms. Haley at the Defense Intelligence Agency, I wanted to play
the video of Mr. Powell on the wall behind her, so that Americans could
recognize instantly how they were being driven down the same path as in
2003 — ultimately to war. Only this war with Iran — a country of almost
80 million people, whose vast strategic depth and difficult terrain
makes it a far greater challenge than Iraq — would be 10 to 15 times
worse than the Iraq war in terms of casualties and costs.

If we want a slightly more official statement of the Trump
administration’s plans for Iran, we need only look at the recently
released National Security Strategy, which says: “The longer we ignore
threats from countries determined to proliferate and develop weapons of
mass destruction, the worse such threats become, and the fewer
defensive options we have.” The Bush-Cheney team could not have said it
better as it contemplated invading Iraq.

The strategy positions Iran as one of the greatest threats America
faces, much the same way President Bush framed Saddam Hussein’s Iraq.
With China, Russia and North Korea all presenting vastly more
formidable challenges to America and its allies than Iran, one has to
wonder where team Trump gets its ideas.
//-- clip

Date Subject  Author
05.02. o [USA] selling war -Bush no different than TrumpRS Wood